Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Learn Like Your Hair is ON FIRE!

"Learn Like Your Hair is ON FIRE!"

Today I wore my red wig! It looks a lot like "Heat Miser's" hair from "The Year Without a Santa Claus" Christmas Special! It was a Collaborative Day today, a "half day" of school. If you didn't do it fast today, you didn't "git 'er done!"

Today I learned how we should focus on the "DOs" and not the "DON'Ts!" Mrs. Clark was asking kiddos to explain how to BE SAFE on the playground. She questioned, "I'm new here, what would I see?" Children answered, "Don't climb up the slide!" and "Don't hit others!" And she turned their responses upside down, "but what would I see?" "I would slide down the slide, feet first." and "I would play with my friends nicely."

It's a simple idea, but a powerful one. If a child can break it down to those simple steps--ie, what does a good listener look like? Eyes are directed to speaker, mouth is resting, ears tuned in.--then they can follow the road map created to their just right destination--FAST!

And speaking of FAST! Here's a quick read, packed with fun and pun:
School!: Adventures at the Harvy N. Trouble Elementary School by Kate McMullan and George Booth. What a hoot! Sure to entertain, very satifying! I just finished reading with Mrs. Jones' 3rd Grade and it was a good book, enjoyed by all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home